‘Tis the Season: Holiday Shopping is Here
Deck the halls with sales and specials, the holidays are virtually upon us and so is the shopping! After a tough year, we’re all looking forward to a little year-end cheer, but what does holiday shopping look like in pandemic times?
Our smart and creative retailers have been hard at work figuring out how to make the most of the season while keeping everyone safe and happy.
Here are some of the ways we’re doing that, as well as some market insight for our clients. Plus, scroll to the end for a long list of specials from Rappaport merchants!
First things first
The opening up and locking down of regions in order to manage the threat and spread of Covid-19 is a moving target. Keep an eye on your local news and follow the guidance of your community authorities.
The general consensus from retail commentators seems to be that the holiday shopping season will start earlier than usual, because of drivers like increased online shopping, longer shipping times, and the need to manage numbers of people in stores. An extended season could then be a boon for retailers, but it will require some planning.
Research from payment solutions company DaVinci Payments shows that 71% of American adults plan to do at least half of their holiday shopping online this year. They believe this will create opportunities for e-commerce brands and direct-to-consumer sales, who will be competing with traditional retailers. There is an age split in the figures though: we expect younger shoppers to look to online, while our older shoppers will have more in-person presence.
Rappaport Leasing Representative Michael Leon says he expects customers to emphasize online and pick-up options. “Every retailer should be exploring ways to integrate e-commerce with their brick-and-mortar locations,” he says.
This trend pre-dates 2020, of course, but is critical now. Retailers must look to integrate digital technology, following the lead of some of the other non-traditional grocery stores like Sephora, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, and 7-Eleven who are now offering delivery services via services like Instacart.
Small Business Saturday
The Saturday after Thanksgiving is “Small Business Saturday”, a national initiative that aims to support small businesses. For background and to find all participating stores, visit: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/shop-small/
Supporting small businesses is a good plan any year, but it has never been more critical than it has been this year. Rappaport implores you to be an ambassador for small businesses and to encourage friends, family, and neighbors to buy and dine #ShopSmall.
Village at Leesburg is participating in Small Business Saturday (find further details here and here). Other Rappaport centers standing behind this important initiative are Springfield Plaza, Tackett’s Mill Shopping Center, Hilltop Plaza, and more.
Deals, discounts and events for your diary
Vienna Shopping Center
- Buy one get one free (wings not included) at Foster Grille
Dominion Valley Market Square
- Take advantage of our Dominos $7.99 carry-out special
West End Village
- Dominos is offering a two or more medium three-topping hand-tossed pizza for $8.49 each with code 4342. This cannot be combined with other offers, delivery charge may apply
- Onekick Martial Arts is hosting an easy trial program. This includes two group classes and Onekick t-shirt (4-years old and up). Register here
- At Orange Theory join today and receive your first month FREE with the purchase of a full price heart rate monitor
- Shop all week long at Potomac River Running and receive in-store and online buy-one-get-one (BOGO) sales and promotions starting Monday, November 23rd, and running till November 30th. Free gift wrapping is available too. Visit potomacriverrunning.com for more details.
- Get a complimentary orthodontic consultation at Tysons West Orthodontics & Children’s Dentistry with $500 off treatment. There is also a $99 special check-up, x-rays, cleaning and fluoride available!
Beauty 4U is offering:
- Selected items up to 40% off
- $5 off purchases over $50
- $10 off purchases over $100
- Mathnasium is offering free math skills assessments for the month of November.
Cold Stone Creamery have a few amazing specials on offer:
- Thanksgiving – $5 off any cake pre-ordered for Thanksgiving (just mention this offer when ordering)
- Black Friday – BOGO any size ‘Signature Creation’, plus 25% off any cake on this day only
- Small Business Saturday – BOGO any size ‘Signature Creation’ with mention of this post
Mount Airy Shopping Center
- Mathnasium’s November special – $50 off your first month! Limited to the first 15 enrolling students
Village at Leesburg
- See all holiday events, sorted by merchant here
- Read more about our VAL Fresco live music and shopping, Tree Lighting & Santa Paws here
- Potomac River Running – November 23-30, enjoy BOGO, 25% off in-store and online for all items. Buy one item (to include electronics) and receive 25% off!
- Sweet and Sassy – Small Business Saturday: 15% off ALL services & parties during store hours (10am-8pm) on Saturday, November 28.
- Hammer and Nails – Hammer and Nails is OPEN in their pre-sale popup space (located next to Dana’s Cake Shoppe!) and celebrating Small Business Saturday (SBS) in style! Get two free services with the lowest membership rates of the year during SBS.
- Atomic Trampoline – Enjoy BOGO 50% off to anyone who mentions SBS at Atomic Trampoline on November 28!
- Wild Wood Pizza – Enjoy a free appetizer with pizza purchased all Small Business Saturday long!
- White & Ivory Fine Jewelry – Enjoy weekly Black Friday specials all November long! Check out their Instagram page for new deals every week. Specials include discounts on bracelets, necklaces and earrings. Stop by the store to spin their promotion wheel for even more savings.
- Spokes, ETC – Shop small and shop EARLY! Due to the overwhelming popularity of bikes and cycling equipment, shop now to ensure you secure the gear you want to gift. Shop their NEW gift guide for all the cyclists in your life!
One last thing…
Finally, because we know that the holidays are about a lot more than just shopping, a big “happy holidays” and many well wishes from the Rappaport family to you. Thank you for being part of our community during a year when community has meant so much.